COMMON PAINT FAILURES AND REMEDIES
There are many types of paint failures but the causes for different paint failures are very common i.e. moisture, poor surface preparation etc. Give below are some easy remedies for different for different paint failures.
- Top coat flanking with friable powdery undercoat.
- Painting on powdery substrate i.e. Old chalking paint, powder like skim plaster, gypsum etc.
- Remove all those loose and flaking paint. Remove friable residue from substrate and use thinned down Duracoat Wall Binder followed by appropriate Top Coat Emulsion Paint.
Hairline cracking of the paint film which can later progress in to chip flaking.
- Generally associated with paints which are highly filled and too thickly applied. Typically found in runs, puddles and overlaps.
- Rapid drying of water-based products as a result of painting over porous and powdery substrate.
- Rapid drying due to extremely hot or windy conditions
- Low quality paints with poor adhesion and flexibility
- Over thinning
- Applying the paint to thinly
- Remove loose and lifting paint
- Porous substrates should be sealed with Duracoat Acrylic Sealer
- Loose powdery crack filler surfaces should be bonded with Duracoat Wall Binder prior to overcoating.
BLISTERING OF ENAMEL PAINT
Loss of paint adhesin resulting in bubbling and flaking of coating. In this particular example there is a bathroom shower on the opposite side of the wall which is not adequately sealed.
- Excessive moisture ingress at back of paint film.
- Painting too soon before the masonry structure has dried.
- Poor structural design aspect related to moisture barriers.
- Remove all loose flaking paint.
- Establish causes of moisture ingress and rectify
- Allow structure to dry out before repainting
POOR STAIN RSISTANCE
Stains and dirt being absorbed by the coat making cleaning difficult.
- Use staining resistant coating in arears that are prone to soiling.
- Use DuraCoat Vinyl Silk (for interior) / Vinyl Matt Easy Clean Paints should be adequate for most applications.